Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Allergies Reappear?

If you've been reading this blog since the start, you know that I have traditionally suffered from cat allergies. As you may know, I've never lived with cats before, but I have gotten itchy eyes / runny nose when visiting people homes where cats live.

However, since adopting the boys, I have been feeling totally fine. Last night, though, I got the runny nose / itchy eyes late in the evening. Am I sick with a cold now? Did I suddenly become allergic to the boys?

It's possible the problem occurred b/c Liz groomed the boys last night, combing their hair and causing a lot of it to become airborne or fall onto furniture. It's also possible that it's not the boys at all, but dust or the dry heat coming from the radiator.

Whatever the case, I'm sure it'll resolve itself. I haven't really taken every step I need to take to prevent allergen b/c things have been going so well thus far. I still should:
  • Spray the cats down with the Nature's Miracle Dander spray I bought
  • Groom the cats more frequently than we have been
  • Avoid rubbing my eyes or touching my face after petting them

However, things have gone so well I had thought maybe I didn't need to do anything special to prevent allergies. I'll be a little more conscientious from now on. Maybe I'll ask Liz to groom the boys on top of an old sheet or towel so their dander falls onto something we can wash.

Anyhow, even if I have to live with an occasional sniffle (and I probably don't), I will deal with it, because these are my cats and I wouldn't trade them for anything.


No comments: