Monday, November 08, 2004

Cat Coloration

So what color cat should I get? Is this an idle question or an important one?

I've always wanted an orange and white cat, perhaps because I have red hair myself and, as we all know, people want pets that look like them. But perhaps personality is more important.

I know that I do not want a black cat, because some studies have shown that black cats have more allergen. Indeed, my nose tickled a little when I petted my Sister-in-Law's black cat, but felt just fine when I petted her orange cat. Her black cat had a lot of loose hair that became airborne when I touched him.

On the other hand, in my brief and subjective experience, it seems like grey or grey/white cats shed the least hair when petted.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"On the other hand, in my brief and subjective experience, it seems like grey or grey/white cats shed the least hair when petted."

Ha ha ha. Tell that to my gray cat.

It is not color that has to do with how much a cat sheds.

Susan K. said...

Franny Syufy has an excellent section in About.com cats guide regarding premium cat food. What a difference in coat condition & shedding when a cat is eating high-quality cat food vs grocery store brands. Educate yourself about cat food and start feeding your kittens premium food now. They are more costly but certainly worth it. You will be spending more on Claritin!

Anonymous said...

I know this is really old, but I just found your site off of the cat forum. I just have to speak up for black kitties. I am very allergic to cats (well, to the fel d 1 protein), but neither of my beautiful black cats has it, so I have no problem with them.