Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Finding a Vet

So Liz is at the vet with the boys this afternoon for a checkup, deworming, etc. As we type this, I'm nervously awaiting a call from her to tell me how it went.

We actually don't have a vet of our own, though. Since we adopted the kittens from Bideawee, they offered us two weeks of free vet care and since the cats need treatment for roundworm, we're taking them up on their offer. However, after that's done, we need to find a vet of our own.

I read Franny Syufy's About.com article on tips for choosing a vet and now I have some new things to worry about. For example, is my vet going to only give my boys the safest vaccinations or is he going to give them things which could cause cancer?

There's a vet office around the corner from my apartment building called "East Bay Veterinarians" and I'm inclined to take them there, but I don't know that much about him, except that he's walking distance (which is good since we don't have a car) and a friend of mine said the vet there was very kind to her cat.

Someone in the comments section of this blog, also recommended a place call "The Cat Practice," which, from their web site, sounds like a great, state-of-the-art place, but it's also a little bit of a hike to get there from my apartment and they sound expensive.

Like anyone else, here's what I'm looking for in a vet:

  • Knowledgeable about the latest risks and treatments (including the vaccination issues)
  • Patient with cats and people
  • Honest -- I'm very worried about being conned into treatments the cats don't need
  • Affordable
  • Good coverage hours
  • Close to my home

If anyone reading this can recommend a great NYC vet who would give the right answers to all of Franny's questions, please let me know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you don't want the fuss of transporting the cats back and forth all the time to the vet, why not try "CityPets, the Housecall Vets." Amy Attas and Cindy Bressler are the main vet partners and they're great!

I first started using CityPets cause my old cat Mocha (a very testy Siamese) was exceedingly difficult to get to a vet (he ended up with a "Viscious Animal" sign on his cage when he once needed surgery).

The house calls cost a bit more than a vet visit, but it's less stressful for the cat and less trouble for you. I recommend it!