Monday, November 29, 2004

Hard to Leave Home

Apologies in advance, because I feel a little sappy posting this. I think maybe I should have my membership to the male gender revoked, but I actually felt a little sad leaving home this morning and leaving the boys alone. As I was about to walk out the door, Beowulf started following me around and rubbing up against my leg and meowing until I picked him up.

Then, after I picked him up and put him down in his bed, he rolled over on his back and meowed at me to play with him. I petted him for a minute, then started walking toward the door and he started following me again and rolled onto his back, expecting me to play with him. I petted him again, picked him up, put him gently in his cat bed and walked briskly to the door before he could follow me again.

Lately, Beowulf has also shown a lot of interest in our bedroom door, trying to open it or dig under it while we are in there (the boys aren't allowed in the bedroom).

It's really nice to see the boys taking an interest in us, not just as providers of food and water, but as playmates, guardians, whatever. I hate to diss them when they take an interest in us, but sometimes life intervenes. Oh well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, cats are especially good at being cute and cuddly when you are running late for work!
Peggy

Anonymous said...

The male-gender thing used to bother me too. I had grown up in a house that always had dogs, and I never gave cats much thought until I married a cat lover. That was 23 years ago. I'm 45 now, and I'm as much a cat lover as she is. Over the years, I've found that there are far more men who are fond of cats than you'd ever imagine. They're just very good at hiding it. One of my best friends at work is 6-foot-6 and about 300 pounds; not only does he have a cat, he complains because his wife won't let him get a second one. It's always fun to see how people react when they find out he's a cat person. So don't feel like you're a voice in the darkness. Cats are America's most popular pet, and about half the people in America are men, so obviously there are a lot of us out there.