Saturday, November 13, 2004

Here Come the Cats

It's a long, long story filled with drama, but I finally have two cats. First of all, as you can see, they are two orange / white kitten brothers, aged 10 weeks. They were born in the shelter on 9/1 and were just separated from their mom about a week ago.

They tell us these cats are healthy except for a case of roundworm parasite, which we need to bring them back to the vet for a few times, but I hear that that is a common thing.

So let me just say that this is without a doubt one of the most difficult decisions I've ever had to make. There are so many great cats at the shelters and the ones we adopted probably did not "choose us" as much as we chose them.

First, we went to Northshore Animal League where we almost adopted a pair of brothers who were black and calico respectively. They were really, really sweet, jumping into our arms and playing with us, but something didn't feel right to me so, much to my fiancee's annoyance, I made us go to another shelter.

At the next shelter, there were three sets of kittens we considered: a pair of black/white tuxedo cats, a black brother /grey brother combo, and two orange/white brothers. At first, we almost decided to adopt another black/calico pair b/c they were just so affectionate and playful, but at the last minute, I just didn't want to give up on my dream of adopting orange kittens.

The problem -- if there is one -- with these kittens is that they are shy around people. They didn't particularly enjoy being picked up by humans and they weren't as playful as other cats in the shelter, but in the end, I just couldn't fight the feeling that I would regret it if I didn't adopt the orange babies.

So far, they are very curious about the apartment, but afraid of us. So do you think they'll grow to like us?

8 comments:

Sassy said...

Most definitely! Just keep at it... don't force them to be on your lap and show affection. Over time they will learn to trust you and see that you are there to care for them and love them. They are BEAUTIFUL! Congrats and good luck!

letmeout35 said...

wow its really cool that you're so into making sure about the cats and that you are trying so hard to make a good home for your cats. But,you refer to your fiancee a few times but havent said what she thinks. Is she as happy as you with the cats? Did she even want the cats? What kind of cats did she want? I just wonder if this is just your POV or if its the both of you.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! They are very cute. I'm sure they will warm up to you & the apartment soon!

Anonymous said...

FYI, all calico cats are female. Most orange cats are male.

Anonymous said...

There's an old adage...if you want a cat (or a kid, for that matter) to pay attention to you, ignore it! Lay down on the sofa and watch some TV or read a book, and they'll come round!

Also, as nice as Bide-a-wee is, it was probably a rather busy place...after they adjust to the relative calm of an apartment, they'll become less timid.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

What two lucky little kitties! They are beautiful! Don't worry, they will learn who feeds and cares for their every need and then they will come out of that shyness for sure!

RB said...

Avram, your Ginger boys are going to be such a pleasure. They are fiercely loving and so good natured. My Cheetoh (born in a box in my bedroom, looked like a Cheetoh!) was so wonderful. They have monstrous purr motors! You made a great choice for first cats...they are "doggish" cats...they will follow you and likely behave more like dogs than typical cats. Regarding your comment about a male calico...if that were true, you should have gotten that one and sold it on eBay! (Kidding) A male calico is litterally 1 in a thousand! check out http://www.ozpets.com.au/cats/articles/CC10049.shtml.
That site explains why most tortoishells and calicos are girls and most gingers are boys.

No friend is like a cat. I'm 44 and my kitties through the years have been my emotional salvation, my companions, my comic relief, my pest patrol, my entertainment, and my babies. I'm proud and blessed to have had cats boss me around for all my life, and I don't intend to go a day without feline companionship! You made an excellent decision. Welcome to the club.

Anonymous said...

wow! Im havign the same problem! I got a little kitten from the shelter and they said that he cane in really timid.. i got her a few days ago and shes been hiding around under the bed.. I dont know what to do.. the only thing that gets her anywhere close to me is if i feed her tuna.. but when i try to pet her or move in anyway she flips out and hides agian... she is so adorable and i want to get to know her.. but i cant even pet her or play with her.. I know she'll probably come out eventually but it feels hopeless :(