Monday, November 22, 2004

How I Spent My Weekend

If you have no doubt from my previous post about how much time we put into our cats this weekend, here's a breakdown:

Friday Night:
  • Went to pet store for food and supplies
  • Fed cats
  • Went to dinner with Liz and came home a little tipsy
  • Slept for a few hours after dinner
  • Got up and watched the boys get into trouble for several hours

Saturday:

  • Woke up earliest I ever have on a Saturday to feed and watch the boys
  • Liz and I noticed the boys' colds getting worse, called a new vet and made emergency appointment
  • Took boys to the new vet where it was determined they were getting worse
  • Took cats home, gave them medicine and fed them lunch
  • Helped Liz clean the apartment so cats (and humans) would inhale less dust
  • Skipped party we wanted to attend to stay home and watch our sick cats
  • Took cats into the bathroom for steam treatment twice (to help clear their sinuses)
  • Spent two hours under my desk trying to cover some of my wires with tubes and tuck away others

Sunday:

  • Woke up at 7:30 am to feed the boys
  • Took nap for a couple of hours
  • Helped Liz give boys their medicine
  • My parents came to visit the boys and take Liz and I to lunch
  • Came back from lunch and watched the boys sleeping
  • Went out shopping for furniture and supplies with the hope of having more places to put things out of cats' reach
  • Came home and fed the boys
  • Took boys into bathroom for more steam treatment
  • Tried experiment to see if "sticky paws" (double-sided tape cat repellant) would keep cats off the diningroom table. Experiment failed.
  • Helped Liz hold Beowulf down and swab his nose for snot (the vet wants a sample of his snot for testing)
  • Tried to hide more wires

This morning:

  • Found Beowulf and Arthur trying to chew another set of wires (this time near the torch lamp) so sprayed the wires with "best behavior spray" (not sure if it really works) and threw a rubber bath mat on top of most of their length. Sprayed matt with "no scratch" and "best behavior" sprays though the cats still seem to be very interested in it.

As you can see, a lot of my time is spent trying to keep them away from wires and sockets. What do other cat owners do? I've tried sprays, tried putting things around the sockets to block them off, etc. While some of these things seem to lessen their interest, none of them is a cureall and we can't live without our wires here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Patience is your best bet. My wife and I have lived with more than a dozen cats in the course of the past 20 years, and wires were never a problem beyond the kitten stage. With enough stuff to keep them busy -- including each other -- they'll eventually lose interest in things as boring as wires. At least that's been my experience.

Anonymous said...

I would try Bitter Apple Spray on the wires. Also getting the plastic tube encasing, which you can get easily at Ikea, would be good for the wires as well.

COKERCATS said...

I use the vinyl tubing which is readily available at Home Depot or Lowe's in the plumbing section. It is inexpensive and comes in a variety of diameters. I cut through the tubing vertically and insert the wire(s). They still chew, but they're only chewing on the tubing, not the actual wire, and they have yet to chew through the tubing!!