Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Shopping in Advance

You wouldn't bring home a new baby from the hospital without first buying a crib or a bag of diapers. But amazingly enough, I think a lot of people adopt pets without preparing for them first.

Right now, my fiancee and I plan to go looking for cats again on Saturday. Before then, we have to go shopping for cat supplies and kitten-proof our apartment.

Last week, I asked members of the About.com Cats forum for their feedback on my shopping list. I got some good advice from members suggesting additions so I think I'm ready to hit the pet store.

So here's our shopping list thus far:

  • Cat Litter
  • Litterbox
  • Canned Food
  • Dry Food
  • Soft Carrier
  • Scooper (for litterbox)
  • Matts for underneath litterbox and food bowls
  • Two ceramic or glass bowls for food
  • Automatic fountain for water
  • Nature's miracle dander spray (for removing allergen from the cats' coat)
  • Grooming brush of some kind
  • Cat Toys (I'm thinking about the fishing pole to start)
  • Scratching post
  • Flat floor scratching boards
  • Cat Tree or Condo
  • Bitter apple spray (for wires, other places I want to keep them away from)
  • Cat Nail Clippers
  • Styptic Powder (in case the cats cut themselves)
  • Cat Bed
  • Automatic Feeder (for dry food)
  • Soft Paws nail caps

I'm sure we won't get all of these things before we adopt, but we'll try to get the most important ones.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Avram,

You can certainly save money with things you can easily do yourself.

For my three kitties, I built a three-storey cat castle with large cardboard boxes. I cut out windows and entries, glued a cat-themed collage on each side of the boxes to embellish them, stacked the boxes and glued them in a safe and stable tower (used carpenter glue). Then, I placed cosy blankets (fleece by the meter, cheaper) inside each "room" and voila!. My kitties spent their wintertime siestas in the castle --each kitty in each storey ...

For playtime: roll an empty toilet paper roll, toss large paper balls, pull a shoelace around the room, make shadows on a wall with your fingers ... Let your imagination run!.

Have fun and always supervise your kitty during playtime.

Carmen and her three feline soul mates

MP3 Doctor said...

Hey, great blog! Keep it up.

I have a latest DVDs site. It pretty much covers latest DVDs related stuff.

Come and have a look if you get time :-)

MP3 Doctor said...

Hey, great blog! Keep it up.

I have a holiday shopping site. It pretty much covers holiday shopping related stuff.

Come and have a look if you get time :-)