Sunday, November 07, 2004

Why a Cat?

I've never had a pet, unless you count goldfish (and I don't). When I was a child, I really wanted a cat, but my father doesn't like animals and would never allow our family to adopt one. As I grew up, I lost that sense of wonder that kids have when they look at animals.

For a long time, I couldn't understand why a person would spend good time and money on caring for an animal. In the past few months, though, I've changed my mind. I've been spending a lot of time hanging around the About.com Cats site and talking to Franny Syufy, the About.com Cats Guide.

I have come to the conclusion that adopting a pet would help me grow as a person and might even prepare me for being a parent someday. My fiancee and I have chosen to adopt cats because we live in a small apartment and cats are better apartment animals. Besides, I've always admired the way that cats hold themselves. While dogs drool and pant, cats have a unique sense of cool. It seems like most Americans agree with me too. More people own cats than dogs.

4 comments:

Chiba said...

Even if this blog is going to be a shameless plug for links to your day job, I welcome you to the blogosphere. It has been a long time coming and I think you will offer up some valuable contributions.

And good idea on the cats. I am totally a dog person, but pets of any kind are great and if cats fit your life better, so be it. Enjoy the ride.

Sassy said...

Cats are definitely the chosen animal in most cases. Especially in NY I would think where we all have NO room for much of anything. ;)

They are classy, have attitudes and show us often why they are unique and deserve those constant petting sessions... and to lay next to our pillow instead of on the kitchen floor.

I have 8 of them living with me and that is just inside! trust me :)

Tara said...

Rock on Avram! If your sensitive allergic asthmatic self can embrace cat ownership as you most surely will than you are a beacon of inspiration to my slightly allergic hesitant about to be a cat owning fiance.

Ciao :) Tara

Anonymous said...

Looks like you're in some pretty nice company, Avram. :)

Franny