Sunday, November 07, 2004

Why this Blog?

I'm about to adopt a cat for the first time. I think this will be a good opportunity to share my experiences with other new cat owners and get some more advice myself. Besides, the cat pictures are just going to be too darn cute.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might be surprisingly OK. I was very allergic to cats, but suddenly found myself the owner of one, last November. The first month or so was rough - I went through a lot of paper towels. But after that, my allergy calmed down almost 100%. I joke with friends that I had swallowed enough cat hair to become vaccinated, by that point! Tip: keep the litter box clean. Another observation: keeping Baby out of the bedroom didn't make much difference in my allergic reaction during that first month. I do hear that indoor cats provoke less allergic reactions than outdoor cats. Don't know the rationale behind this assertion.

Anonymous said...

I think it is wonderful that you are willing to try this. I three allergy shots a week (cats are my worst allergy) and I have two cats. Just remember to keep your cat away from your face and off of your bed (never near your pillow), and you'll adjust to each other in no time! Best wishes!

Anonymous said...

Go ahead!. Love conquers all.

Carmen and her three feline soul mates

Anonymous said...

I was extremely allergic to cats for most of my life...when I didn't have one. Then at 37 I decided that I would get one no matter what. In less than 5 years, I had outgrown my allergy.
My doctor thinks I ingested enough cat hair to desensitize myself the way allergy shots would work. I didn't pamper myself and I let the cats sleep in the bedroom and I 'mushed' my face into their tummies all the time.
Just go for it! I'm convinced that 'LOVE' conquered my allergy to cats!
...good luck!

Oh, and yes, the cat pictures are just too darn cute, especially if you use a digital camera!
=^..^=

Anonymous said...

I have to tell you, I shared an apartment with a friend and his cat (we all know whose house it really was, never mind whose name was on the lease) and I've always been contact sensitive to cats, but another friend suggested Pantothenic Acid (B5) as an alternative to allergy meds. It worked, and still works, even though I no longer live with a cat (temporary situation until I get my own place) I can visit multiple cat households with impunity. It's worth a try.

Kate