Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Their Bed: What Does it Mean?

Those of you who know me offline know that I am a huge fan of Japanese movies, food, and culture. Originally, Liz and I had even considered giving the cats kaiju names like Godzilla and Gamera. So when we went shopping for a cat bed, we were thrilled to find one with a Japanese symbol on it.

The problem was that we had no idea what the symbol on the bed means. I was sure it was something appropriate, but Liz was worried that maybe the bed-manufacturer was having a laugh at our expense. Afterall, there has been a recent fad where Americans get tattoos of Asian symbols only to find out that the symbols mean something which would embarass them.

Fortunately, I showed the picture to a coworker of mine who grew up in Japan and she told me that the symbol stands for the Japanese word "Yume" which stands for "dream." Of course, that's appropriate for a bed. I really need to learn Japanese one of these days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is actually a Chinese character, not Japanese, and it's most probably "made in China"!

meow said...

Hi, went through your blog and found it really interesting..

btw, the word is chinese and it means "dream"