Saturday, December 25, 2004

Touching User Comment Makes My Christmas

I just got home from opening Christmas presents at my in-law's (more about that in the next post), and I logged in to my blog and saw this comment from a reader named Amy, which was really a great Christmas gift for us and the boys:

Merry Christmas, Avram! (and Liz and the boys, too)

Just a quick note to thank you for your blog - I'm grateful that I stumbled across it about a week ago. My cat Tigger passed away on December 8. He was 20 years old and I had him over half my life, so the past two weeks have been pretty difficult. I miss him a lot, and feel his absence most when he's not there to fulfill his part in our daily 'routines' (even now I expect him to jump on my lap and 'help' me type as he always did). I wasn't sure if I could ever get another kitten, especially an orange one, because Tigger is irreplaceable and I wasn't sure I could love another cat or expect it to heal the hole in my heart.

Anyway, Arthur is the spitting image of Tigger when he was a baby. I've enjoyed reading about your boys and have laughed and smiled as I've recalled similar incidents with Tigger. Your blog has helped start the healing process. I will never forget Tigger, but I'm starting to look forward to sharing my life with some new furry friends. I'm leaning towards two, and at least one of them has to be orange. Now I just have to wait for the right ones to come across my path, preferably after the Christmas tree is down because Lord knows that would be way too much temptation for a pair of kittens!

Merry Christmas to you too, Amy. Your post has really touched me and I'm thankful that Arthur and I could help you in any small way that we could.

Even though my boys are so young and I am so new to the experience of cat guardianship, I am constantly thinking about the possibility and eventuality of losing my boys. Whenever one sneezes or vomits or has a sore eye, I worry about losing them.

I will tell you that, for the longest time, I didn't want to get a pet and I had a million excuses -- allergies, responsibility -- but primarily my fear was the fear of loss. Even if I get a good 15 to 20 years with my boys, chances are that they will pass before I do. Each day, I grow more attached to them, and I worry more about losing them and how I'll cope when that time comes. I hope I am lucky enough to get 20 years like you did, but I'm sure that, even then, it will not make the loss any easier.

I can't offer any words of wisdom,but I can offer you my encouragement to bring a new set of fur babies (I recommend orange boys, of course) into your life.

I know that, in adopting my boys, I made a lifetime commitment, not only to Arthur and Beowulf, but to myself to always share my home with cats. I know that I will never be able to replace my boys after they are gone, but I hope I will find the strength to reach out and give a home to other boys (and maybe even some girls) that need one. Whatever cats I adopt in the future, I know they will never replace my boys, but they will be different, special creatures and I hope we will have a unique and wonderful relationship of our own when that time arrives.

When I was going to five different shelters looking for the right pair of boys, I saw a lot of great cats. I know these two boys are the ones that were meant for me, but there were so many other wonderful cats that were different and special and I wish I could've given them a home too.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Avram -

Thanks for your words of encouragement - I sure didn't expect to get my 15 minutes of fame from my comment. I'll be sure to let you know when I find the fur babies that are meant to come and share their lives with me. =^.^=

Nic said...

This kind of worry is one all people who share their lives with cats, dogs or horses feel (maybe rabbits, gerbils and guinea pigs too, but I'm not so sure?). but It's like any relationship - sealing yourself away from potential pain means you end up missing out on an amazing amount of love, affection, fun and laughter. I can't do it - I can't not have a cat in my life! I was without one from the age of 14 when my childhood cat (who predated me) died to 27 when I bought my first house and convinced my husband (a dog guy) that life without cats was a life half-lived. Because of the nature of my Stella, I doubt I'll get another cat whilst she is still alive, but like Amy, after some time passes, I would get another. I'm reckoning on a good 5 years or so yet though!