Friday, December 17, 2004

Who Wants a Belly Rub? Arthur Does!

When I first adopted the cats, I worried they would not be affectionate or bond well with me. We were within 5 minutes of adopting a different pair of cats at the shelter b/c Arthur and Beowulf didn't seem too interested in us humans. I am so glad we went with my gut feeling and adopted our boys, despite their shelter shyness. I'm also thankful that Liz was willing to go along with that feeling.

After only a month of living with us, I can safely say that our boys are very affectionate. Arthur, in particular, likes to roll on his back and ask for a belly rub. When I'm sitting at my desk, working on the computer, one or both of the boys will walk up to my chair and meow up at me to pet them. Or they'll jump up on the desk to come visit me.

When I come out of the bedroom at night or in the morning, the boys are often waiting for me and they start to follow me around. Being followed around is very cute, until I realize I can't go into the bathroom (where the boys are not allowed) until I can get them off my tail.

The boys even compete for my attention sometimes. Beowulf will be sitting on my lap and Arthur I think gets jealous and chases him away or gives him a dirty look.

One interesting thing, though, is that I'm not sure our boys feel any differently about us than they do about other people. This is both good and bad. When we have guests over, the boys are very friendly and totally enjoy being petted and played with. That said, it's a little disappointing to think that we don't get any special credit for feeding and taking care of them every day. OTOH, maybe we do and I just don't notice it.

No comments: