Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Arthur the Aloof

As I start typing this, Beowulf is sitting to the right of my mouse relaxing and grooming himself. This is a good thing, but Arthur continues to give me the cold shoulder. Arthur walked by a few times today and, as I reached out to rub his cheek (something he used to like), he duck out of the way as if to say: "don't touch me."

Meanwhile, he continues to be very affectionate with my fiancee Liz. Today, she was lying on the couch and he came and lay down on her side. Is he becoming a "one-person cat?" What did I do wrong?

6 comments:

Peggy said...

He's a "teenager" now....

socidoc said...

Yes, Avram, I'm afraid both Arthur and Beowulf are entering puberty, thus you can expect the unexpected and the unusual!! Arthur *may* have decided that Liz belongs to him, or ... maybe not! They may switch places again or... maybe not! One thing about cats is that they are always full of surprises!! Always!! You probably won't really know their personalities for another year, if then. Cats are moody, and especially teenage boy cats!! :-) Try to roll with it...

Anonymous said...

My cats are super moody. You might as well get used to this behavior. They will be super cuddly one day, week, month - and then cold the next day, week, month. My Nanaimo is unpredictable and I've learned just to take what I can get and not be offended. I've also learned that if Nique wants attention, he will ask for it - otherwise leave him alone! I think cats really are a lot like women. (Btw, I'm female)

Anonymous said...

I think you're trying too hard. I once had a black cat, India, who wasn't very friendly. That is putting it nicely. I also had a great aunt who came over daily (picture Everybody Loves Raymond) and she was very afraid of black cats. The ONLY lap that cat would frequent was Aunt Ida's. She was my cat and slept with me, but never jumped on my lap! And who said cats don't have a sense of humor!

Terri

Anonymous said...

Cats are famous for that behavior. I have 2 who given a roomful of people, will choose the lap of my brother Dave who is cat phobic! -Mike

Anonymous said...

Ignore him. Then he will be begging for your attention.