Saturday, February 26, 2005

Cat-Proof Bookshelves

A few weeks ago, we bought some Bonde bookshelves from Ikea. Things have been so crazy lately with my fiancee Liz going back to school to take a few classes and with things at my job that we haven't gotten around to putting them both together OR even filling them with books yet, but here's the first one.

The reason we bought this bookcase is that you can get glass doors for it. The glass doors obviously prevent the boys from getting inside and eating the books or knocking over any little knick-knacks (for example: Liz's dragon collection) we want to display.

A lot of people say Ikea furniture is cheaply made. After spending nearly four hours putting together the shelf at right, I agree that it's not as solid as other furniture I've owned, but it looks nice and we honestly couldn't find another bookshelf with glass doors and cube-shaped cubbies like this. My main concern is that it lasts a few years and it doesn't collapse in the middle of the night or tip over.

You'll notice that the glass doors only cover some of the cubby holes. The bottom cubby holes can contain plastic drawers (which we bought) or can just hold heavier books that we're not worried about the boys chewing. Meanwhile, Beowulf and Arthur are exploring.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

i LOVE those shelves, and i LOVE ikea. maybe its not the highest quality but its affordable, and it does last for awhile. and its FUN furniture! unboring! they look like the perfect way to keep your books safe from those kitties.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you'll need to leave a shelf empty for a cat cubby!

Peggy said...

Yes, those cubbies are just the perfect size for a kitty bed or a fleece blankie....

Keep the pictures coming--the boys are quite handsome!

MrGonSings said...

Watch out if you buy the plastic drawers with handles or the plastic doors that you open by swinging from the bottom part...
In both cases, my cute little feline (very similar to the bigger one of yours, by the way) has found out his way through these impediments and located a comfortable warm place, among ours clothes and other stuff, to take one of his usually long naps...
Of course, it's always a cute surprise to go searching for a black t-shirt and, instead, discover a hairy little ball happily dreaming...

Cat Furniture said...

I like the higher quality of cat furniture, but not the prices... but if you look hard enough you can always find the perfect discount cat furniture solution.

Just my opinion... I could be wrong :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just found your blog, and I read... and read... and read... and finally, decided that you and your other readers might want to check out my Cat Furniture site.

Steve Austin said...

Enjoyable blog. Please check out my dog crate blog.

jon said...

I was searching for dog sam ugliest info and found this post. I agree totally!

Paul

Anonymous said...

To do your marketing for your business you can marketing agency with the ebook at marketing agency Go and check it out.

Jack Naka said...

I have a fashion style site. It pretty much covers fashion style related stuff. Check it out if you get time :-)