Monday, February 07, 2005

Paw and Thaw?

It seems like Arthur has finally loosened up the past couple of days, but it could also be that he hasn't changed as much as I've learned the secret to winning his affections, with the help of my fiancee Liz and some user comments on this blog.

As you may recall, Arthur has been giving me the cold shoulder lately. He will let me pet him if he's relaxing (see the photo below), but he won't come and sit with me or on me like he used to. However, he spends hours on Liz's lap. So we sat down and thought about what Liz is doing different than me:


  • Liz stills very still for hours at a time while she is reading or watching TV.
  • Her legs are nice flat surface for Arthur to lay on, when she is putting her feet up on our ottoman.
  • She usually puts a fleece blanket over her legs, though he'll come sit on her even if she isn't using the blanket.
  • She'll stroke Arthur but she's not as "touchy-feely" with him as I am. I just to give him a big cat massage every time, while she just strokes him occasionally.
Last night, I lay on my back, stretching out on the couch and watching TV. When Liz was ready to go to bed, she put the blanket over me and put Arthur on my stomach. He stayed there and readjusted his position, but hung around. I was careful not to overstimulate him with too much petting. I just turned and watched TV while he slept on me. Then I fell asleep and, when I woke up an hour later, he was still lying on top of me.

This evening, when I got home from work, Arthur was laying on the couch. I went and sat down next to me and he nuzzled up to me. Then, later in the evening, I sat down on the couch and he ran to sit down next to me. I'm not sure if we've turned a corner, but I think things are better.



3 comments:

The Cat Pack said...

We can drive ourselves crazy trying to figure out the hows and whys of their affection. One day they all ignore me and hang around my husband; the next I'm queen of the house and he's persona-non-grata in their eyes. I think they just like to keep all of us guessing.

Anonymous said...

I think it is because we humans are so easily adapted:

My little Kitty sometimes thinks I am a just a comfortable piece of furniture...
But there are the other times when she feels compelled to demonstrate, by standing or laying on me, just who the top-dog is...
And there are those other times when she pulls in, parks, and starts unloading love...

Best regards, Don and Kitty (of Pestbouncer.com)

Wendy said...

Our cat goes back and forth between my husband and me.

Like Arthur, she usually likes sitting on my husband when he watches TV because he doesn't move much. He WOULD move more, but he has extreme consideration for the cat and won't move if she is in his lap.

As for me, I like to pet and massage her, and so she reserves her time with more for bedtime when I provide lots of body heat and my husband sleeps cold.

Anyway, she has been spending more time in my lap lately because of the bag clip incident (my husband got exasperated with her clawing him when he was relaxing unawares and put a bag clip on her tail, and I had to rescue her). She still likes him, but doesn't trust him as much as she used to.