Friday, February 04, 2005

Worth Its Weight in Sissal

You may recall my difficulties with the first scratching post I bought the boys. The problem with the post was that, even though the post itself was made of rope, it had a carpeted base and a carpeted top so the boys were eating pieces of carpet from the base. I didn't like the idea of them swallowing carpet fibers so I ordered The Ultimate Scratching Post.


The reason I got the Ultimate Scratching Post was that its base and top are both polished wood so there are no stray carpet fibers and pieces of plastic carpet string to come off. That said, the post itself is sissal so it can shed small pieces of sissal, but that seems to be par for the course with scratching posts. Yes, you can get an all-wood post, but my boys seem to like sissal and I don't want them to get the idea that it's ok to scratch any tall wood object (like my furniture legs).

What I didn't realize is that the Ultimate Scratching Post has a lot more to offer than just its lack of carpeting. It's a full 32" tall, which makes it about double the height of my previous post. This means that a fully grown adult cat should be able to scratch the post while standing on his hind legs. In addition, my boys love to climb the post. They play "king of the mountain" and leap or claw their way to the top (see picture of Arthur below).

There's a lot to love about the Ultimate Scratching Post and, at this point, I would recommend it to others. That said, it's not perfect. As I said before, sissal can come off a little bit and the first day I caught Arthur chewing the post. I cut the loose piece of sissal off and now only little shreds come off from time to time.

That said, my only serious complaint about the Ultimate Scratcing Post is that the company which makes it -- Smart Cat Products -- feels compelled to adorn the top of the post with a sticker advertising their Web site. The sticker is impossible to peel off and, if you try, little pieces will come off, making the top of the post into a sticky, disgusting mess that will get onto your cat's paws. Apparently, marketing to people who visit my apartment is more important to the manufacturer than providing a clean, stickem free post to their customers.

Pros:

  • Really Tall
  • Sturdy
  • No Carpeting
  • Cats love it

Cons:

  • The unremovable sticker (see above)
  • Sissal comes off a bit
  • Expensive (but compared to other posts, it's worth it)



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Avram,

About removing the sticky residue without harmful chemicals, try placing some masking tape over it and pulling it up (kind of like removing a band-aid). It may take a few tries but it should work.

Plain transparent tape should also work.

Peggy said...

If that doesn't work, next try rubbing a little cooking oil on the goo. That should get rid of it and also be safe and easy to clean off.

Anonymous said...

Try "goo-gone", it takes away all that sticky stuff like magic.