Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Cats and Stress

Everyone experiences stress, but lately my stress-level has been off the chart. Fortunately, my boys have been there to help.

About.com's Franny Syufy writes:

It is an accepted fact that cat owners have lower blood pressure, especially in older people. The human-feline bond is never quite so close as when a person is holding and petting a purring, vibrating bundle of fur on her lap, and all is well with the world. You may even find yourself purring in response.

I can accept this fact, because I've experienced the calming effect my boys have on me. I'll come home after a hard day and I'll lie down on the couch and Beowulf will come cuddle with me.

This weekend, I spent the better part of Sunday and Monday (took the day off) cuddling with my boys and staying away from the computer. Arthur won't come sit on the couch with me, but if I put him on the leather desk chair and roll it over to the couch, I can lie down and stroke him while I rest.

In fact, on Sunday, I was sitting on the couch and stuck my arm out so Arthur could wrap his paws around it. He snuggled with my arm on his chair (actually it's supposed to be my chair, but we all know whose chair it is) as I fell asleep on the couch. Those of you who have never lived with a cat are missing that feeling one gets when your feline companion decides to use your hand or arm as a pillow. There's nothing quite like that feeling of love and trust.

Everyone knows that the ancient Egyptians worshipped cat dieties, but did you know that some pagans today believe that cats have magic powers? After living with them for four months, I can see why.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see a new posting Avram! Indeed, cats are magical, mystical and wonderful, the best thing in the world to come home to after a hard day. -Lynne

Steve Austin said...

Cute blog. Please visit my pussy cat blog. It is all about pussy cat.