Monday, April 04, 2005

Quite Possibly the Coolest Cat Parents of All Time

I call my boys "the kings" and I do my best to treat them like royalty, but if you think I spoil my cats, you haven't been watching HGTV lately. Last night, HGTV aired a one-hour special called "Pet Palaces" which showcased some pet owners who have remodeled their homes to be more comfortable for their companion animals.

The show was pretty balanced in showing dog, monkey, and even crocodile owners, but I was mainly interested in the segment which featured San Diego cat lovers Frances Mooney and Bob Walker. Mooney and Walker have designed the ultimate cat house and they've written a couple of books about the house and what it is like to live with 11 cats.

I'm sure they're not the only people in America who live with 11 or more cats, but they might just be the only people to have built neon catwalks that connect almost every room of the house. It's just incredible. Words can't describe it; you have to see the pictures on their site, buy the book, and watch the show.

If I lived in a house rather than an apartment, I would love to put up cat walks for my boys. I don't know if I could deal with 11 cats at once, but my fiancee Liz and I would definitely consider adopting more cats if we had a bigger place. Chances are that we will have to move to a house in a few years, because we don't have a lot of room here for kids. At that time, I'll be very sad, because I love the city and hate the suburbs, but maybe that will give me with an opportunity to bring more cats into my life and to provide them with cat walks or other special ammenities.

1 comment:

socidoc said...

Hello Avram,
Thanks so much for the links to these folks who have basically built their home around their kitties! I'm going to use some of the pix as models for a friend who will be building (in my apartment... have you thought about this?) a small staircase and 'perch' much like one of theirs. I figure, if it costs me my damage deposit, which I don't think it will, it will be worth it! They can be easily dissassembled when I move and taken with me! Thanks again Avram. Keep up the good work.