Thursday, April 21, 2005

What Surprised You Most About Cats? -- FAQ

Arthur and Beowulf are my first cats so I had a lot of hopes and fears before I adopted them. I think my biggest fear was that I would have a cold relationship with my cats. I would adopt them and live with them, but it would be a relationship of quiet respect rather than love. Could I love an animal? Would an animal love me? Would the cats be like a new toy that I'd get bored of?

My biggest surprise has been my own capacity to love and grow from this experience. I feel like adopting the boys has helped me get in touch with a different part of myself. I give them food, toys, and belly rubs, but what they give me back is priceless.


<

2 comments:

chaos_girl said...

It amazes me when people say they don't like cats- typically, it's that they don't KNOW cats. Sometimes, you have to own your very own cat (or be owned by) before you realize how special they are...

My husband was like you and now 3 years later, we have 6 cats and 3 foster kittens...

Steve Austin said...

Cute blog. Please visit my cat perch blog. It is all about cat perch.