Monday, May 09, 2005

Woman Wins $45,000 in Lawsuit Over Cat Death

These days, we hear a lot of talk about frivilous lawsuits, but I don't consider this suit frivilous at all. Accroding to the Associated Press (via CNN), A woman in Seattle, Washington just won a $45K judgment in a lawsuit against a neighbor whose dog came into her backyard and killed her cat.


Of the $45K, $30K was awarded for the cat's "special value" and another $15K was given for emotional distress. Apparently the 30K value according to the cat tied a record, but I honestly don't think it was enough. Our cats are living beings, not property. I understand that society will probably never give an animal the same kind of respect that it gives to human beings, but I'm wondering how much this woman would have won if her 12 year old son was mauled to death by the neighbor's dog. I think she'd be able to win a few million dollars in a wrongful death suit, not just 30K.

The life of a cat is not disposable. That cat was her family and you just can't put a pricetag on family. I hope this lawsuit at least sends the message to dog owners that they are responsible for their animals' behavior.

7 comments:

Muddy, BloggingCat.com said...

Yes -- good article! I am glad she won the lawsuit. -- Muddy, BloggingCat.com

Anonymous said...

I thought I wasted my time. You are insane.

socidoc said...

Well, whoever 'anonymous' is... above... I guess they aren't a true cat lover! Avram, I love love love your blog and I look at it every day! Thanks so much for sharing your cat experiences with us! And keep those very cute pix coming!

Basi said...

EXACTLY what socidoc said.., keep up the good work! *thumbs up*

Basi (basalix)
from About Cats forum

Anonymous said...

you all need a life !

Anonymous said...

And well she should have won plenty, but what about the pet owners who leave their pets to roam busy streets? I wonder what I should be entitled to for emotional distress as a cat owner who ran over someone's unattended cat...the poor animal unknowingly darted under my car as I crossed a busy intersection! Too bad the other anonymous blogger has forgotten to use his/her conscience. Maybe I'll remember my password soon and identify myself.

For Jessee said...

I would like to talk to this woman. My 10 year old cat was just killed last night by our neighbors pit bull dog on our property. And yes, he was family member that cannot be replaced. Pet owners of animals that have vicious tendacies should not be kept in neighborhoods with children, next time it won't be our beloved cat, it could be someone else's child. This woman deserved her settlement.