Monday, July 18, 2005

The Powers of Beowulf

I'm not one to believe in the paranormal, but sometimes my boys seem to have a strange kind of intuition. As I mentioned previously, Beowulf and Arthur always know when Liz or I need them. But today was something else.

Liz was talking to her best friend on the phone this afternoon when Beowulf jumped on her lap and started rubbing up against the receiver. Finally Liz told her friend that "Beowulf wants to talk to you" and Beowulf started purring into the receiver. When he was done purring into the phone, he got up and walked away. He's never shown an interest in the phone before so this was not typical behavior for him.

What's interesting is that Liz's friend recently had to put her seven-year-old cat Lunar to sleep after a long illness. Was Beowulf just marking the phone or was he trying to comfort Liz's friend on the other end of the line? Was he relaying a message from her cat Lunar in the kitty beyond? Ok, it's just weird, but it's an interesting fantasy.

7 comments:

DJ said...

One time I was very sad and talking to my Tuxedo kitty, as tears rolled down my face she began to wash my face off. To this day I don't know if she was trying to comfort me or not, but I was amazed because she had never done anything like that before. Yes, I do think that our kitties know when we need that extra spark.

maizzy said...

i have found that cats are very perceptive... they do catch on when someone is feel a bit down... no matter what. they are pretty smart animals even though they are somewhat lazy-cuties... heee....

Anonymous said...

But, what's paranormal to us might be totally normal to them--they have no preconceived notions of what's doable and not doable.

Have you heard of Patty Summers? She is totally amazing (psanimal.com). We have worked with her for years and the things she passes on during a session are incredibly accurate.

I'm taking a workshop from her in August.

J Wickell

Valderbar said...

With acute hearing, Beowolf could have picked up on the sad tone and naturally wanted to extend a little comfort.

Anonymous said...

my cat is always with me if am crying about the pain from cancer ,he wakes me up and gets my pill bag off the table and brings it to me , he sleeps on me till i go back to sleep

Anonymous said...

That is the sweetest thing I've ever read.... I hope you're feeling better

brenda j said...

That is awesome, I have always believed that we don't choose our animals, they choose us. When they do their love and dedication is for life. I love animals and they are truly amazing!!!