Sunday, August 28, 2005

Arthur and Beowulf's Good Deed

In honor of their birthday (which falls on September 1st), Arthur and Beowulf have donated $30 each to the Second Chance Fund at Bide-A-Wee, the place I adopted them from.

According to the Bide-A-Wee Web site, $30 allows their no-kill shelters to rescue a cat or dog from the New York City's Animal Care and Control unit (aka the pound) and house that animal until it's adopted into a loving home. The boys hope their donation is enough to help two homeless cats, but if the money goes to the dogs, they suppose they'll have to live with that. Bide-A-Wee was pretty darn good to them so this is their way of saying thanks.

I'm not the type to nag people, but Arthur and Beowulf have no shame and they would like you to know that if you've been inspired by this blog or you just like the idea of helping homeless animals, their birthday would be a great occasion to donate to Bide-A-Wee's Second Chance Fund by using Bide-A-Wee's online donation form.

If you do make a donation, drop me a line with the amount at newcatcity@gmail.com so I can post to the blog and let people know how much money has been raised by readers. I have a coworker who also adopted his cat from Bide-A-Wee and he's promised to make a $30 donation so that puts us at $90.

P.S. -- You might be wondering how Arthur and Beowulf got $60. The truth is that I loaned it to them and I expect them to pay it back in trade, purrency if you will. I expect them to sit on my lap more often and stop climbing on the refrigerator. Iguess I should keep dreaming!

6 comments:

Matt said...

I (the coworker you mentioned) just helped Mishka give her $30. I guess you could say it actually was her money. I leave a lot of change lying around the house and she's been known to knock it off of my tables/counters/dressers. It never seems to be there when I go to pick it up, so she must be hiding it somewhere for a rainy day.

Matt said...

That link shoud've been: Mishka

Muddy, BloggingCat.com said...

Purrency -- that sounds good to me. Happy birthday! -- Muddy, BloggingCat.com

socidoc said...

Hello Avram and fellow blog-readers,
I'd like to suggest that another *idea* to celebrate Arthur and Beowulf's birthdays, and our mutual enjoyment of their journeys, is to donate a little $$ to your local humane society. Avram's idea of donating to their previous home is also a good one; I do believe that donating to any humane society (or the national ASPCA) especially given the tremendous damage done by Katrina to the animals, is a VERY GOOD KARMIC thing to do right now! Thanks again Avram for the pix and your wonderful stories!

Avram said...

I'm all for people giving to cat charities, whether it's Bide-A-Wee or any other. I'm going to post about a few other worthy cat causes on the blog as well.

Casbah Kitten said...

How cool! Our cat Jelly Bean was adopted from the local Humane Society last year. She has inspired me to begin making cat toys and selling them online in HER shop...casbahkitten.etsy.com.
Last month she donated 10% of her profit to the Humane Society she came from. And every month she donates to an animal charity through Etsy for Animals.