Saturday, September 24, 2005

Keeping the Kings Safe

We sprayed again with the Poison-Free spray and we asked the building superintendent to come over and caulk the baseboards. Hopefully, caulking will keep the bugs out. I'm just disgusted and frightened by the idea of these bugs ending up in my boys' food. At the same time, I'm reticent about using any more powerful commercial poison. Ugh!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i know it seems disgusting but most bugs r probably ok as a source of protein. after all, humans eat bugs in other countries. i know that my older cat likes 2 eat bugs especially spiders (or at least their legs) and she's pretty healthy. i think as long as they're not poisonous, the thought probably disgusts us humans more than the kitties 2 c bugs in the food/water.

baileyshelby said...

Don't know about mint oil, but most oils are not kitty safe.

Anonymous said...

>>>Don't know about mint oil, but most oils are not kitty safe<<<

Some *essential* oils are harmful to cats, but "food grade mint oil" should be okay.

http://cats.about.com/od/housekeeping/a/aromatherapy.htm

FrannyCats

Nic said...

Yep, afraid to say my two love playing with any creepy crawlies that make the mistake of entering the house too! Luckily the ony infestation we've had is ants, which could be a bit poisonous, but the girls have obviously decided they are too tickly and stay well away from them!

2cats2 said...

If anyone knows a way to repel bugs without using poison, I would really like to know. Unfortunately, I tragically lost one of my beloved cats because of using Combat trays, which do not kill the bugs right away, but the poison gets on them and then, supposedly, they carry it back to the nest. However, after getting into the poison and while carrying it on them, the cats can eat the poisoned bugs, with tragic consequences. I didn't make the connection in time, sad to say. I've learned my lesson now, for certain. I would rather live with a few bugs than ever risk my precious babies again, but if I could find a way to get rid of the bugs and not put the cats at risk, it would be worth a try. Anyone out there have any ideas???