Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Food Experimentation Continues

As I mentioned in a previous post, my boys are picky eaters, but we only want the best for them, nutritionally-speaking. So now we've found a canned found that they sometimes like and I'm experimenting with a dry food that many consider to top-notch.

The canned food they kinda like is Avoderm Select Cuts. The reason they like it is that it's chunky and juicy. It's not a pâté. They don't usually finsh the whole thing, but they will eat it, sometimes with the requisite Kitty Condiments on top. For the same reason, they also like Solid Gold Blended Tuna. They never finish the whole thing, but they do make a solid dent.

We're also trying a new dry food with them, Wellness Super5Mix Adult. This has to be the most expensive cat food on the market, costing me $11 for 2.5 pounds. I think that buying a tank full of gas these days is cheaper than month's a supply of this cat food. The boys eat it, but not with as much fervor as they did their Nutro Natural Choice. The Nutro is good stuff, but I keep hearing (from various cat-nutrition afficianados) that the quality of ingredients in Wellness is "human grade" so I thought I'd give it a try. If I'm mistaken here, please drop me a comment.

I might sound obsessive about my cats' nutrition and maybe I am, but I look at it this way. As their guardian, I'm the one who buys the food, puts it in the bowl, and expects them to eat it.

If I make a lifestyle choice for myself and decide to eat junk food, that's my choice and I may pay for it in poor health or a shortened lifespan. My cats don't get a choice, except to not eat things they don't like the taste or smell of. They don't get to read the nutritional information on the back of the bag and decide where to draw the line. If I'm making a life decision for them on how to eat, I'm going to choose the healthiest food I can.

4 comments:

Scooby, Shaggy & Scout said...

All the literature I've read says Wellness is the best. Human Grade ingredients and no corn fillers. It's only available in some stores, and the place I can buy it has all brands of cat/dog food: all size bags & all size cans at buy one get the 2nd at 1/2 price. It's an independent pet, farm & garden supply store.

PrincessMia said...

Have you tried Natural Balance? They have dry food and wet food.

Anonymous said...

Have you tried a raw diet? I haven't myself, nor do I know much about it - but a few other people I know have and are very happy with it.

Anonymous said...

mayb u can find somewhere cheaper 4 the wellness super5? i wrote b4 that i give my kitties a mix of the super5 + innova evo and i get the wellness at a pet specialty store here in nj 4 about $15 for the 5-6 lb bag and $9 for the 2-3 bag. the evo is about $15 also 4 the 6 lb bag. plus, here they have a frequent buyer plan so after 10 bags, they will give u a free bag of whatever size u bought the most of. i believe i've heard that u can find coupons 2 make it cheaper ordering online. u can check out the ingredients of different foods at www.petfooddirect.com (though i don't they're the cheapest ppl 2 order from). the 1st 3 ingredients should be meats they say. 4 natural choice, only the 1st ingredient of the 3 (Chicken Meal, Ground Rice, Corn Gluten Meal) is a meat and its meal at that. that's one of the reasons i stopped giving it 2 my older kitty (too much filler - rice/ corn). wellness super5 is $9 4 the smaller bag and $15 4 the 5 lb bag, though this is w/o shipping, from www.drsfostersmith.com.