Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Shocking Case of Animal Cruelty

Before I adopted my boys, I would not have thought much about a story like this, but now I'm shocked, angered, and saddened. A man in St. Cloud, Florida has been arrested for allegedly burying his 5-month-old puppy alive. The man says he did it to "teach his dog a lesson" because the dog was digging too many holes in the yard.

My only response to this story is just to say that, while there will always be cruel people, I think that society's attitude toward animals could be part of the problem. When you view a dog or a cat as property, you feel like you can do whatever you want to it.

My computer and my TV set are property; I can throw them away if I get bored of them or if they don't perform up to my standards. My cats are family. I have to live with their quirks, just like they live with mine. I adopted them; I didn't buy them, and when I did so, it was with the understanding that I would be their caretaker, not their owner.

When you own something, you don't owe it anything. I don't owe VCR anything. I haven't used it in years and it can just sit there until I need it again. However, I have a responsibility to my boys. I have to provide them with a great home, the best possible food, health care, and attention. When my cats are happy, I'm proud of myself. When they're upset or need something, I wonder how I can get it for them. Call me strange, but I wish other people would have the same attitude about cats and dogs.

4 comments:

DEBRA said...

I am often amazed at how indifferent people can be towards animals. It breaks my heart literally to see how cruel people are in regards to their treatment of their furry companions. On the other hand, there are those guardians who feel like you or myself or the countless others who share their home and hearts with their furbabies. There isn't anything we would not do to see to their happiness to the best of our abilities. I don't know how each of these opposites treatments balance each other, but I can't help but hope that they do.

Rahel said...

Your position on this issue is not strange at all, Avram. I think that anyone with a conscience would recoil at the idea of treating a living creature like property even if it didn't involve outright abuse. Animals are not robots with a pulse. They can think and feel and love and be afraid just as we can.

To me, fighting animal abuse is not even a matter of "If they do it to animals now, one day they'll do it to people." Even if that is true, cruelty to animals is wrong in and of itself. And I hope the perp gets some time to think about that, preferably behind bars.

Doll said...

There's a poster in the subways from the ASPCA. It's shows a gasoline can, a roll of duct tape, and a cat. It says something like, "whatever you think of when you see these images, we've seen worse". A lot of people just don't consider animals to be anything more than a nuisance or an object. There was a horrifying story months ago about a case in, South Africa I think, about a cat who was microwaved alive on some school campus. They never caught who did it. The article quoted some doctor saying that it was the cruelest way to torture an animal because microwaves cook things from the inside out, boiling it, and the cat would have suffered tremendously. Animal cruelty crimes should be treated just like human crimes, by putting the offender behind bars for a very long time.

2cats2 said...

Anyone who would do these kinds of things to a dog or cat should have the same done to them! These "people" are not humans, but monsters.