Saturday, November 19, 2005

Signed Up for Pet Insurance

I'm the king of procrastination, but I finally took the leap and chose a pet insurance provider, Veterinary Pet Insurance. I just filled out their online form yesterday and I'm still waiting for them to approve my policy application, but their "Superior Plan" should cost me $180 a year per cat.

The plan is not an HMO. I have to pay my vet (any vet I want) first and then submit a form for reimbursement. I combed over their Web site and I'm still a little unclear as to exactly how much they will or won't pay for a specific procedure or illness. However, after comparing them to the other two pet insurance providers I found, PetCare and the CFA Pet Healthcare Plan, they seemed like the most reputatable.

From their Web site, their ad materials, etc -- VPI just seems credible. One thing that sold me is that the VPI Web site has a whole section of answers and help for customers who are victims of Hurricane Katrina. They are even providing a grace period for customers who can't pay due to the disaster. To me, that suggests that they have their act together. My vet also recommends VPI and has their pamphlets in his office and that means something to me also.

As with human insurance, there's always the risk that they won't pay as much for a treatment as I would like, but this is a gamble I'm going to take. Pet insurance really isn't for the boys; it's for me. The boys are healthy now, but if they get sick, my fiancee Liz and I will pay whatever it costs to take care of them. We would probably take on debt or clear out our bank accounts if necessary. So, if the insurance works, it actually is insuring our assets.

7 comments:

Max said...

Good call. I *should* have gotten insurance for Max, but I suppose with his pancreatitis it's too late now. And you think I would have learned after how sick our last cat was for her last year. We spent thousands on medical care for her in a 14 month period.

socidoc said...

Avram
This is good to read and think about! I just got a new fur-baby (you might remember my 16 year old beloved Bessie had to be put down last month because of kidney disease)... I've now got 4 month old "Lucy", a lynx-point (tiger mix) Siamese... beautiful baby!! She's a ball of fire!! I'm slowly introducing her to Harley, my 10 year old female torti... and I also spent a good $1000 in Bessie's last year, along with $45 a month for about two years for thyroid meds... (would do it again, but would rather have insurance pay for it!)... thanks as always for your lovely photos and vids and advice...

DEBRA said...

Avram,
It's funny you post this as I just saw a full page AD in Cat Fancy for Pet Insurance. I have wondered about it, and considering my vet bill was a few hundred dollars this past week and more today (behavior mod)... and this is only for 1 cat. I only have 4 others. So it is something I am thinking about also.

Avram said...

Debra,

I saw the same ad and it's for the place I signed up with, VPI. However, I had been researching them for a while. However the ad reminded me that I needed to make a choice and go with something. They seem like the leader in pet insurance in the U.S. and I want to go with the leader, because leaders have a good chance of still being around in a few years.

Sue said...

Being from U.K., I can't comment on your specific insurance provider, but I just want to say what a good idea it is to get pet insurance. In 30 years of belonging to cats, I never took out any insurance, then 2½ years ago we adopted an 8 year old girl, Daisy. No apparent health problems, but in April this year something made me take out a policy on her. In July she was diagnosed as being in the early stages of kidney failure (a dreadful shock, AND complete surprise to us). She will need treatment for the rest of her life, and this will be covered by the Plan I took out.

The Whippy Curly Tails said...

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you, both furry and otherwise. =^..^=

XXXOOO
The Whippy Curly Tails in the Toasty South!

Diva Kitty said...

Happy Gobble-Gobble Day!