Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Hiding Out with Beowulf

The boys haven't done a lot of blogworthy things lately, but yesterday morning was an exception. I went into the kitchen at 7:30 a.m. to clean the bowls and put down some dry food for the day. Normally, when I pour the kibble, the boys come running, but this time, neither one came into the kitchen.

Arthur stood in front of the hall closet meowing and pawing at the door. My fiancee Liz was in the bathroom brushing her teeth and told her I thought there was a mouse in the closet and I was afraid it would run into the apartment and bite us or the boys. Our building sometimes has mouse problems, but we've never had one in our apartment.

Liz said that I should ignore Arthur, because he often paws at the closet door and she's opened it many times and not seen anything there. I told her I could hear noises coming from inside the closet. She walked out of the bathroom and said she'd prove to me that the closet was empty by opening the closet door.

I stood at a distance from the closet, worried that some kind of rodent was going to run out and invade our home. Liz opened the closet door and something did indeed jump out, but it was Beowulf! Apparently, he'd wandered into the closet half an hour before when Liz was taking her clothes out.



7 comments:

socidoc said...

Wow, what a relief to hear from you again! I was really getting worried about you, Liz and the boys! Thanks for the news... yes, it pays to check the closets... in fact, after years of having kitty-companions, I've learned to actually keep the closet doors a bit open, so they won't get trapped in there while I'm at work :) Very glad to see you here again, thanks for the cute new pic!

Wendy said...

Good to see the boys!

I have sad news from our side of the continent. Our neighbor kitty has gone to the big heating pad in the sky. He was 14 and had kidney failure. We called him our spare kitty because he spent most of every day in our garage on our cat's heating pad. Our neighbors Steve and Mary claimed he had his own heating pad in their garage, but he liked ours better. He was a black and white tuxedo cat just like our cat, but a longhair whereas ours is a sleek shorthair. We'll miss Nipper lots and lots. He was just a very calm and friendly cat who acted as if he lived with us.

Scooby, Shaggy & Scout said...

Kudos to Liz for her bravery!

Whiskers said...

I can't say I disagree. I'll check to see the consensus. Happy mother's day!

Petey said...

Yes, you should leave the closets open or at least do a cat count before you leave. Everything that happens is blogworthy, from a cat's point of view.

Muddy, BloggingCat.com said...

What a cute bed!

Patches & Mittens said...

It is a known fact, any closet door shut, needs to be opened so we can inspect it. I think it is the law.

Patches Lady