Sunday, September 17, 2006

Arthur Worships the Great Lamp God

Arthur has a strange habit and I would love to figure out what it means. Sometimes he'll jump up on the table next to the couch and start looking up at the torch lamp and meowing at it. He'll also try to lean on it or to scale the wall next to it. This behavior freaks me out because:
  • He could very well tip over the lamp, break it, and hurt himself

  • He only does this when I'm around (My fiancee Liz has never seen him do it when she is home alone nor has he played with the lamp when I'm in another room.)

I have theorized that Arthur does this for attention, but if that's his reason, it makes no sense, because he'll often jump up on the table and start his "lamp worship" when I'm in the middle of petting him and giving him lots of attention.

He also does a variation on lamp worship at the other end of the living room where he occasionally stands in the kitchen doorway and meows up at the ceiling, while trying to scale the wall. I call this "ceiling worship."

When he performs either of these behaviors, Liz and I scold him, because he's scratching the wall or tipping the lamp. I find it hard to believe, however, that his motivation is a desire to scratch something because he has a really good scratching post and because he acts like he's trying to talk to something up there.

Does anybody have any idea why he does this?






10 comments:

Horatio said...

1st of all, Arthur had a very nice blotch (classic) marking on it's body n also a very nice red.

Hmmm... strange, i had similar light but not that tall. perhaps Arthur is curious on the reflection that he sees on the metal shade?

Tara said...

My boy, Fritz, does this too. I suspect that there is some sort of bug in the lamp that's about to get zapped by the bulb. Check the lamp to see how many dead bugs are in there.

Avram said...

There aren't any dead bugs up there.

socidoc said...

Avram, I don't know why he's worshipping the lamp, but your description and pix are hilarious! One of my kitties, Harley, has a routine where, when she's feeling especially affectionate, she grabs her favorite "scrunchy ball" and walks around the house, howling with it in her mouth. Then I have to say "Good girl" and pet her, and she's happy. My little Lucy cat also "prays" to the lamp, but as someone said, it's only when there's a moth in there flying frantically. Arthur's so cute! I wouldn't worry about it. It's probably a mis-placed attempt to express his affection for you. Sometimes kitties aren't the "brightest bulbs" (pardon the pun) from our perspective! Thanks for this new blog though. Love the pix!

Blondie said...

My cat, Webster, goes to the corner where the door is, looks up, and meows like a crazy freak about once a day--a psycho yowling. He also lies on his back and bats at the door. For a while, I thought maybe the corner had a ghost, but now I just think Webster is a little nutty. Maybe Arthur has a ghost friend living in the lamp, too.

Derby said...

Maybe he see a little bug up there. I do that with lamps sometimes too. Others I just like to knock over. hehehe.

Avram said...

I've checked the lamp and not found any dead bugs up there. Also, he does this even when the lamp is off so it's not the light or a bug be attracted to the light.

Miz said...

Cats hearing is more sensitive than ours, perhaps he hears a hum from the lamp you cannot or something in the celing. Arthur may be a bit mor curious than his brother about it.

Anonymous said...

Check that lamp for shorts, or try a new light bulb -- could be a high-pitched squeal that you can't hear. Or it could be the weird reflection looks 3-D and he thinks there's a strange creature up there near the ceiling.

Anonymous said...

I think the sound theory makes sense. Does he do this behavior when the light is turned off?