Sunday, December 10, 2006

My Crazy Million Dollar Idea

Every now and then, I come up with a wacky idea for a new business and then calm usually sets in and I realize it's not viable. However, I really want some feedback on today's idea: Pet Showers and Pet Registries.

This weekend, my fiancee Liz and I registered for wedding gifts at a couple of stores and it got me thinking. If people have showers for weddings and for new babys, what about new pets? And if people register for wedding gifts and baby gifts, why not create an online pet registry where people can register for gifts for pets they plan to adopt or just adopted. People would be able to throw actual shower parties for their new pets OR they could plan and execute an "online shower" OR they could just plain register so their friends and family can buy gifts they will need to get started with the new cat or dog (leashes, collars, litterboxes, toys, etc).

Forget for a second the myriad ways in which providing an online pet gift registry could turn a profit. Would you register for gifts for a new pet you adopted AND would you buy gifts for a friend's new pet if she registered?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a neat idea. Honestly, I would not register for my pet. However, I would be willing to check a registry and buy a gift for a friend. I'd rather give them something they actually want instead of having to deal with returns.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely!! Wonderful idea!!

Anonymous said...

I think it's a wonderful idea, Avram. I sort of feel that our pets have become more of family members to us in the past couple of decades, and I would LOVE it if my friends registered their pets so that I could buy them little gifts and prizes. How fun!

I also think that papers should set aside part of the obituary page for pets.

Love your blog. Arthur and Beowulf are gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

I think it's a brilliant idea, although getting the word out about the site might be a pain. Considering the number of people that have pets instead of children, and those who take in homeless animals out of the kindness of their hearts, the pet registry would be a hit.

socidoc said...

Avram,
That idea has legs! lol... I really like it... you know, we cat parents (and dog parents, and bird parents, etc too)... we have special knowledge about the preferences of our animal companions... food preferences, toy preferences, etc... and for our families/friends to buy gifts for these furry friends of ours, sometimes their good intentions go to waste because they don't know which toy, which food to buy! So YES< I would use such a registry... I can see how people who manage feral populations (which is where I got my lovely Lucy kitty!) would really feel BLESSED by such a resource... they wouldn't have to constantly repeat to everyone what their animals need... so yes, I say, go for it!

Anonymous said...

YES! I was thinking when I adopted my new kitten how great it would be if I could register for presents. I'm pretty sure my friends would have bought me stuff of of it. PLUS god knows I've been to enough lame baby/wedding showers and now it's PAYBACKTIME!

Anonymous said...

YES! I was thinking when I adopted my new kitten how great it would be if I could register for presents. I'm pretty sure my friends would have bought me stuff of of it. PLUS god knows I've been to enough lame baby/wedding showers and now it's PAYBACKTIME!

DEBRA said...

I think that is a marvelous idea! I could see how it could tap into a very lucrative market. People spend a LOT of money on their pets...I know I do!

Anonymous said...

First, if there are to be presents, there must be a party! I'd love the registry if I were invited to a party to meet the pet in return.

I have to admit I am a bit cold-hearted if people spend big bucks on a pedigreed pet - I figure they should be able to cover the other expenses, too. But if they adopt from a shelter or rescue organization or privately at no cost, or take in an older pet needing a loving family, then I'd be more generous-feeling in giving a gift.

Nadya said...

I would totally do this! I don't know if I'd actually use a registery for cat birthdays...but if someone adopted a new pet, I sure would!! Especially if they adopted one from the SPCA or similar places.