Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Turning and Learning

If my fiancee Liz was not on a trip with our camera, I would have snapped a picture of Arthur tugging at the door knob on the front door last night or Beowulf trying to pull the knob on the hall closet this evening. For the past few days, the two of them have been leading against both the front door and the closet door, meowing up at something, and then reaching their paws up to try to turn the knob.

Fortunately, the front door is always locked and the closet door knob is actually just a handle that can't be turned. However, I'm starting to feel like I did the first time I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey and I saw the scene where the first ape picks up a bone and decides to use it as a weapon. They are trying to learn to turn a door knob. It may not be long before they successfully open another door, the door to the bedroom.

10 comments:

Pearl C. Pritchard said...

Hi boys.

You guys should see my brother, Pumpkin. He's the spitting image of Beowulf.

Good luck with opening the doors. We can't do that but if a door is closed we sit and scratch at it until one of the humans opens it for us. It's always fun to make them do things for us.

Avram said...

Cute cats on your blog :). Pumpkin does look a bit like Beowulf.

Nic said...

Be afraid. Be VERY afraid.

And failing that, get the anti-histamines ready!

Kimo & Sabi said...

Hahahaha! We already learned how to open door knobs - we jump up and hang on them then swin back and forth - voila, open doors! (except it doesn't work on doors to outside 'cause of the deadbolts - haven't figured that out yet!)

We wish you a furry happy, healthy, safe, snuggly, flea-free, Temptations-filled New Year!

Beau Beau & Angie said...

Yur right, what's next? Opening the refrigerator?
Have a happy healthy wealthy and wise 2007!

Anonymous said...

Hi Avram,

I'm also planning to adopt two kittens, and reading the over two years of your blog was very interesting (and cute).

I have a question -- did the boys stop chewing cords at some point, or do they still do that?

Alex,
Israel

~Liz said...

On the Whole the boys have stopped chewing. But once in a while they will make a half hearted attempt at chewing a wire.

As an update to their door opening efforts, it seems that since I've returned from my trip they do it a lot less.

Guess Arthur was just searching for mommy.

ArtsyCatsy said...

Hey, Arthur, you look just like my main man Fracas! I'm Rocky, CEO (Cat Executive Officer) at the new ArtsyCatsy. Come sniff us out & if we make you purr, want to link to each other?

socidoc said...

Avram,
Is Liz still on her trip? Your fans want more pix! Pretty please?! :))

The Real Witch said...

Gorgeous Cats!

I love the idea of being a CEO :-)
A promotion in my retirement