Monday, March 08, 2010

Falling Into a Routine

So, for better or worse, we are working our way into a feeding tube routine. We are now feeding Arthur three times per day, once in the morning, once in the afternoon, and once in the evening.

For the morning and evening feedings, we offer him canned food first. Sometimes, he'll eat an ounce or two of the canned food, but not nearly enough to meet his calorie requirements. So we'll wait 30 minutes to an hour and tube feed him again.

It's kinda discouraging to see him walking away from the food he could eat himself, but it's a huge relief that we have the tube to help us through that. The weekend before we had the tube in, we were freaking out trying to get him to eat. Now, we just put the food down for him and walk away. If he doesn't eat it, we don't sit on the floor begging him to do it, because we know he'll be nourished.

We are still really paranoid about leaving him unsupervised even overnight. Our normal routine when he was well was to go into our bedroom when we were ready to sleep and leave the door open. The boys would then wander in and out of the bedroom at will for a while after we went to bed. However, ultimately, every night we had to kick them out of the room and close the door, because at some point around 3 a.m. or 4 a.m., at least one of them would get frisky and start doing all kinds of wild things like ripping tissues out of the tissue boxes or trying to scale the TV set.

So for several hours each night, we normally sleep with the door closed and let the boys run wild in the living room. Then we get up and feed them sometime around 7:30 a.m. (or earlier if I need to use the bathroom).

However, right now, we don't feel like we can give them those few hours alone in the living room while we are in the bedroom with the door closed. So Liz has slept out in the living room every night since Arthur came home with the tube while I sleep in the bedroom. Liz is able to deal with the lack of sleep, which is a blessing because she can keep an eye on Arthur.

One of these nights, Liz will come and sleep in the bedroom with me again, but for now, we're glad she can keep a closer eye on our sick boy.


mizzyN said...

get well soon arthur! i pray for u!!

Amy and The House of Cats said...

I wish I had some advice to give you but it sounds like you are doing ok for now, which is good. We are sending lots of get well purrs and prayers for Arthur!

Old Kitty said...


I came over from Amy and the House of Cats.

I've just read a few pieces about poor Arthur. I am so glad he has his furrever home with you and Liz. You are both amazing and Beowulf too! I'll be praying that Arthur pull through esp. with all that love and care!

Take care

umi_e said...

Oh... we are so sorry to know ( from Amy and the House of cats) that you are ill. Our prayers and purrs with you... hope you will get well soon...